Monday, January 17, 2011

Non C'e Trippa Pa' Gatti

No one actually ate at Non C'e Trippa Pa' Gatti as far as I could tell... the staff that's Maurizio in the middle and Ahmed (I think) on the right... and they took great pride in their cuisine- and couldn't understand why Romans wouldn't eat there. The Romans probably considered it a little kitchy, but I ate there and it was perfectly fine...
In any case- Non C'e Trippa Pa' Gatti- don't trip on the cat- is in fact an Italian idiom. I spent the first few mornings asking the adorable "Nonna" grand mother who stations herself at the door for most of the day- "Where is the cat?' "Dov'e il Gatti?" ... in my bastard Italian. There is no gatti (cat).
The expression means something like "expect nothing" in English, or so I was led to believe. So you've got "expect nothing" restaurant on Via Urbana in rome. Ask for Maurizio. He'll explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment